Thursday, January 6, 2011

Parental irresponsibility & uncomfortable experiences with children

I like babies. I think that newborn babies and kids under 2, are very adorable. They're sweet and cuddly and innocent. I'm not very comfortable holding little babies mostly because the parent is watching your every move making sure you hold the head and cradle its neck. I know how to hold a baby! Now kids 2+....different story.
           I don't like those little snots that break away from their parent and run into the street (why are kids so attracted to running into the street). So on Tuesday, I had a very very uncomfortable experience with a child. I talk to a therapist about annoyances and such, I recommend it, they get paid to listen to you :P
My dad was sitting in the small waiting room waiting for the therapist to talk to him, when I went in for the session, he was alone reading his book. The session lasted about 45 minutes, when I got back to the room, my dad was playing legos with a little girl who was by herself waiting for her parents who were in another room talking with her counselor. When I walked in, my dad says, "Come say hi to my daughter!" She pokes her head out from behind the door, she's cute by very shy. My dad says "I'll be right back, I have to talk to this lady." And he fucking leaves me in the god damn room with a little kid?!!? First of all, come on parents, they were both there but one of them should have been staying with her. Second, I DIDNT ASK TO BABYSIT FOR YOU. I'm not going to take responsibility for this child!
So I guess the girl was there because she and her 5 year old brother were adopted by a young caucasian couple and they were having problems connecting with her. She also has a very hard time sitting still so I think they were talking about that too. Her brother is very well behaved and has good boundaries, but she doesn't have appropriate boundaries.
               Back to the story, so I'm awkwardly sitting in the room and this girl is staring at me. So I say, "What's your name?" in a monotone voice. I'm not good at putting on that stupid voice that people use to talk to kids. So I'm waiting for her to tell me her name. Then she finally does.....5 minutes later, I ask her how old she is. She just says, "3." Then I tell her how old I am and she says I'm old....I'm still in my teens. Then she asks what's in my hand, and I'm like.....really, she doesn't know what a book is.
        Then, she bolts our of the room and starts running down that hallway and I'm like "Shit where did she go?!" I'm not going to be held responsible if she goes missing because I never ever agreed to watch her when her parents should've been. Jesus Christ! So I look, but she's not there. Then I hear her running down that hall and she's giggling like I'm loving seeing her have fun. I was just glad she didn't get kidnapped. So when she comes back, I just smile and then she's tells me to stop laughing. I wasn't fucking laughing. Calm down. Then finally, my dad comes back out, and guess what? She runs up and hugs him! This child has serious issues. She's known my father for 45 minutes and she's treating him like she's his daughter. That has always happened though, little kids always pretended like my dad was theirs, and of course I was jealous when I was young, but now it's just annoying. He's my dad. Then for some reason he tells her to hug me and that I love hugs....If looks could kill, my dad would be dead. I think kids were attracted to my dad either because he's just the type of person who's really good with kids or they just don't have a father figure in their life, or both. So, I say "Dad, I really want to go home." And he says to the girl, "I have to go home now, can you please help me clean up these toys?" and she does that annoying little kid thing where she keeps saying no and smiling like it's a game or something, so my dad cleans up for her. Dad, there's a reason kids grow up, so you can stop cleaning up after them!
                  So he gets on the floor and starts putting away the toys for her. First of all, my father should not be crawling on the ground cleaning up the mess of a 3 year old child who was left alone, because it's not his responsibility and he has knee and back problems. Her parents are young, let them clean up after their kid. He was just being nice though.
        So we finally leave after a mild protest from her, thank whatever. So I'm telling my dad that I wish he hadn't left me alone with that kid because I'm really uncomfortable around children. He didn't really know how uncomfortable I was with them, and I kept saying that until he got the hint that I wanted to discuss it. So on the 30 minute ride home, we talked about it. If you want to read about it. Find it.

Come on dad, retire already.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment